The Blekhman lab's broad focus is on Population, Evolutionary, and Medical Genomics in humans and other primates. We are interested in understanding how genetic variation between individuals, populations, and species creates a wide range of phenotypic diversity. The lab generates genomic data, and employs computational, statistical, network-theory, data mining, and population-genetic approaches, with the goal of achieving a comprehensive understanding of the genetic basis underlying specific complex traits and diseases.
Work in our lab aims to:
- characterize the mechanism and evolutionary history of interactions between host and its associated microbiota;
- identify genetic variants causing complex disease, with focus on non-coding and regulatory variants; and
- shed light on the evolution of gene regulation in humans and other primates.
Dr. Ran BlekhmanRan Blekhman is an Assistant Professor at the University of Minnesota. Before joining the UofM in 2013, Ran was a Postdoctoral Associate working with Andrew G. Clark at Cornell University. Ran holds a Ph.D. in Human Genetics from The University of Chicago, where he worked with Yoav Gilad.
We are looking for highly motivated researchers to join our group! Several positions for postdocs, graduate students, undergrads, and research scientists are available. Read More...
Our Work in the Media
The Message in Microbiomes.
University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences News, November 2013
People’s Genes Welcome Their Microbes.
Science News, November 2013
It’s in the Genes.
The Scientist, October 2013
Gene Variants in Immune System Pathways Correlated With Composition of Microbes of Human Body.
Science Daily, October 2013
Genes May Influence Body's Bacteria.
Science News, May 2012
Biology of Genomes Presentation Describes Hunt for Microbiome-Related Host Genes.
GenomeWeb, May 2012
Why Humans are More Sensitive to Certain Viruses: Primate Immune System Differences Identified.
Science Daily, December 2010
What Makes a Man a Man?
Science Life, January 2010
Genetics: Sex and the Cortex
Nature (Research Highlights), July 2008
- Andres Gomez joins the lab as a Postdoctoral Associate. Welcome Andres! 06/2014
- Ran will give a talk at the 2014 ASM meeting on May 20 at 3:00 PM, as part of the symposium on Host Genetic Control of the Microbiome, in room 160A at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center 05/2014
- Michael will present his research at the Biology of Genomes Meeting at Cold Spring Harbor in the poster session on Wednesday May 7, 2014 05/2014
- Ran will give a talk at the AAPA Meeting on April 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM, as part of the Beyond The Genome Symposium, at the Hyatt Imperial Ballroom, TELUS Convention Center, Calgary, Canada 04/2014
- Elise Morton joins the lab as a Postdoctoral Associate. Welcome Elise! 02/2014
- Josh Lynch joins the lab as a BICB graduate student. Welcome Josh! 01/2014
- Karen Tang joins the lab as a data analyst. Welcome Karen! 01/2014
- Ran will give a talk at the ASHG Meeting on October 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM, at the Grand Ballroom East, Level 3 of the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center 10/2013
- Ran will give a talk at the NTD Conference in Austin on October 9, 2013 09/2013
- Ran will give a talk at the GCD Seminar Series on September 19, 2013 09/2013
- Michael Burns joins the lab as an HHMI Postdoctoral Associate. Welcome Michael! 08/2013
- Ran will give a talk at the MPGI Fall Symposium at the University of Minnesota on August 29, 2013 08/2013
- The Blekhman Lab opened its gates on August 1st, 2013 in the Cargill Building on the St. Paul campus! 08/2013
- Ran will give a talk at the SMBE Meeting in Chicago on July 10, 2013 06/2013
- Ran will give a talk at the Biology of Genomes meeting at Cold Spring Harbor on May 8, 2013 05/2013